Graduate in Physics ( Hons) . Post Graduate in Management from Indian Institute of Management , Ahmedabad,
M.Sc ., in policy and planning from London School of Economics, London.
Ph D in Management from Anna University.
Certificate in Intellectual property rights from WIPO, Geneva.
Had several stints in Government of Tamilnadu such as
- Chief Secretary, Government of Tamilnadu
- Additional Chief Secretary, Highways and Minor Ports Department.
- Additional Chief Secretary . Energy Department
- Officer on Special duty, 13th Finance Commission, Finance Department and one man Commission for sorting out Sixth Central Pay Commission implementation anomalies for over 11 lakh employees of Govt.of Tamilnadu.
- Principal Secretary, Revenue and Disaster Management Department
- Principal Secretary, Industries Department
- Principal Secretary, Commercial Taxes and Registration Department.
- Industries Commissioner and Director of Industries and Commerce.
- Member Secretary, Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA).
- Sub-Collector in Tiruvannamalai and later as Tiruchi Collector.
Also held Key positions in Government of India such as
- Secretary, Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- Special Secretary, GST Council , Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
- Director and Joint Secretary in the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Industries & Commerce.
He has also rich corporate experience having served in various Companies such as
- Chairman and Managing Director, Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO)
- Chairman of Titan Industries Limited, Tamilnadu Industrial Development Corporation ( TIDCO), Tamilnadu Cements Corporation Limited (TANCEM), Tamilnadu Industrial Explosives Limited (TIEL), Tamilnadu Petro Products Limited (TPPL), Tidel Park Limited (TIDEL)
Also as Director in several undertakings such as
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC)
- State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamilnadu Limited (SIPCOT)
- As Member of Tamilnadu Electricity Board, Tamilnadu
- Maritime Board, IIT Madras Research Park, Chennai
- Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) , Syndicate of Anna University, Chennai, Coimbatore , Tiruchi and Tirunelveli.
He has also served earlier as Chairman of Tamilnadu Newsprint and Papers Limited (TNPL) from 2009 -10 to 2011-12 and Chairman and Managing Director in 2016-17.
Presently he is also a Director of Goods and Service Tax Network (GSTN), GSTN is involved in integration of entire nation’s diverse tax portfolio into a single taxation system and in developing an IT platform to handle the diverse tax systems of 36 states / Union Territories and Union Government and also providing a single interface for more than a crore tax payers for their GST compliance functions. GSTN is entrusted to build the IT platform to service the need of diverse set of stakeholders.